The COOTS (Conservation of Our Threatened Species) team have conservation projects that they work on at various times throughout the year at Port Parham, Hope Valley, Lands End and Pine Point. All are within a couple of hours drive of Adelaide.
For those who want to camp out near to the project site at Lands End or Pine Point, a camp is usually established on Friday evening, and, depending on the season, there may be a campfire at night. There are also more conventional accommodation facilities nearby. All are welcome to come and help, either for a few hours or just for the day, stay over one night, or stay for the weekend.
Pine Point is on Yorke Peninsula, about 160km from Adelaide and about 18km from Ardrossan. The project site is in the Muloowurtie Conservation Reserve, a few kilometres inland from the coastal settlement of Pine Point itself.
Port Parham is north of Adelaide, about 50km from Gepps Cross.
Lands End is at the tip of the Fleurieu Peninsula, near Cape Jervis.
A new inititive last year was a series of COOTS Workshops held at the APS clubrooms, 21A Richards Tce, Goodwood. They will be continuing this year and will be held on Wednesday evenings starting with a sausage sizzle at 6:00-6:30pm and the main program getting under way about 7:30pm.
COOTS Programme for 2013
- Sunday, 13th. Annual COOTS Barbecoot at the Stockade Botanical Park.
- Wednesday, 13th. COOTS Workshop - Native plant species found on the eastern side of the Adelaide Hills and Plains.
- Sunday, 10th. Extra Seed Sowing Day. Seed sowing for the COOTS projects - for some species that may respond better at this time of year. Held at the clubrooms, 21a Richards Tce. Goodwood from 9.00am, followed by a sausage sizzle.
- Friday 29rd to Sunday 31st. Project Lands End.
- Friday 26th to Sunday 29nd. Project Pine Point.
- Friday 24th to Sunday 26th. Project Lands End.
- Wednesday, 19th. COOTS Workshop - A look at the introduced weeds that are threatening native plants.
- Friday 28th to Sunday 30th. Project Pine Point.
- Saturday 13th. Project Hope Valley. - checking up on past projects
- Saturday 20th. Project Port Parham. - checking up on past projects
- Friday 26th to Sunday 28th. Project Lands End.
- Friday 23th to Sunday 25th. Project Pine Point.
- Friday 27rd to Sunday 29th. Project Lands End.
- Wednesday, 16th. COOTS Workshop - Propagation of native plant species.
- Friday 25th to Sunday 27th. Project Pine Point.
- Sunday, 3rd. Annual Seed Sowing Day. Seed sowing for the COOTS projects. Held at the clubrooms, 21a Richards Tce. Goodwood from 9.00am, followed by a sausage sizzle.
- Thursday, 26th. Project Pine Point. Seed collection.
- January 2014
- Sunday, 12th. Annual COOTS Barbecoot at the Stockade Botanical Park.